Re: USB Corless Mouse Not working in X

[debian-x CCed.]

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 02:29:21PM +0200, Sebastian Seifert wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:45:57 +0100, Werner Otto <werner.otto@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks allot the modprobe mousedev command works like a charm. Is
> > > there any way that I can run this command when the system starts up?
> > >
> > > [...]
> > just add a line to /etc/modules saying "mousedev", that will autoload
> > the module on startup.
>
> Shouldn't this be loaded by default if a mouse input device is present?
>
> After a fresh Debian install (hardware autodetection works like a charm
> now) and having gone through the pains of setting up XFree86, a regular
> user cannot be expected to guess that in order to use the USB mouse
> (which he selected during X config and for which modules were loaded by
> hotplug) he still has to manually load a kernel module called
> 'mousedev'.
>
> Lately, I've been installing Debian on some friends' desktop computers,
> and they would have made it through most of the install process by
> themselves, except for silly little things like this... maybe this is a
> bug?

Yes.  As I understand it, something like hotplug should load the mousedev
module as soon as the kernel tells it /dev/input/mice has been opened.

It is my strong belief that the XFree86 packages shouldn't go about trying
to force kernel modules to get loaded.

However, if the rest of the system (i.e., hotplug or whatever) isn't up to
doing the right thing in time for sarge, I will tolerate the inclusion of
some kind of kludge in XFree86 to get this working for the sarge release.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      Ignorantia judicis est calamitas