x(dm) freezes at first start

hello,

at boot, when xdm is started, x freezes directly after the login screen
is displayed. sometimes it's possible to type in the login name, but at
the latest at typing the password, the complete screen freezes.

i'm still able to kill x with magic sysrq key combination:

longer.

as already said, this happens _only_ at the first start of xdm, in the
boot process. if i stop and afterwards start xdm, it _never_ freezes.

i'm running (debian/unstable) gnu linux with kernel 2.6.8 on an amd
athlon64 with a matrox g400 dual-head 32mb agp graphics card.

i use the most recent xserver-xfree86 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-6) from
debian/unstable with driver mga, and on kernel level 2.6.8-5 with the
matroxfb framebuffer driver.

the virtual consoles are all using framebuffer, in xfree86 config i've
no options related to framebuffer set.

as the magic sysrq key combination still works, the problem cannot be a
hardware issue. syslog gives _no_ output while x freezes, so matroxfb
upstream maintainer is confident that it's not a kernel issue either.
so in my eyes only xfree86 is left to be the originator of the bug.

i already posted another mail to xfree86@xfree86.org, that treats the
problem: http://www.mail-archive.com/xfree86@xfree86.org/mgs16563.html

unfortunately, nobody replied to it, so now i try on debian-x.

bye
 jonas

ps: please cc me private as i'm not subscribed to the list.