importing new drivers into source

I have the i830M graphics chipset and want to import some recent changes
made to XFree86 4.4.99.7 (namely the i810 driver to allow dual
headedness).  I am currently running XFree86 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4 from testing
and have grabbed the source.  Is it even feasible to think about trying
to merge the i810 driver tree into the 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4 source, increment
the package version, and put all the pkgs on hold?  Digging around
uncovered an incredible amount of patching but since the i810 driver
constitutes only about 12 files, I may give it a try.  Any advice?

TIA

--
-Nick Golder