Everything gtk is crashing!

Greetings,

On my laptop, a Fujitsu P2120 with a Radeon Mobility M6 LY running
testing and kernel 2.6.3 (because alsa doesn't work with 2.6.6 or 2.6.7
with the ALi M5451), from time to time all gtk+ apps spontaneously start
to crash.  The error messages in .xsession-errors look like:

The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length
erro'.
  (Details: serial 33 error_code 16 request_code 18 minor_code 0)
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
The program 'evolution-alarm-notify' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length
erro'.
  (Details: serial 33 error_code 16 request_code 18 minor_code 0)
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)

Trouble is, because everything crashes (except enlightenment, so I exit
X by logging out of E from the middle-button menu), and nothing new
linked to gtk+ will start up again, I can't very well debug with
--sync.  The problem persists through X restarts, only a reboot fixes
it.

Very often this happens soon after start-up, with gdm repeatedly
crashing until either I can accumulate enough keystrokes in the console
between crashes to log in as root and reboot, or it gives out, or I give
up and hard reset the machine.  If it gets past gdm, the machine has
about a two-hour half-life before the behavior forces a reboot.

Also on this laptop and only this laptop, every 10-20 minutes X slows to
a crawl, with the monitor applet still running and showing 100% CPU
usage, of which 20-30% is "system".

Any ideas?  I'm not subscribed to debian-x, so if you reply to only that
list (and not debian-gtk-gnome), please CC me.

-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg