Bug#257515: xserver-xfree86: [keyboard] various keys have stopped working (ukgb layout)
- To: Branden Robinson <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
- Subject: Bug#257515: xserver-xfree86: [keyboard] various keys have stopped working (ukgb layout)
- From: Jon Dowland <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 21:02:53 +0100
- Message-id: <20040802200253.GB1897@konishi>
- Reply-to: Jon Dowland <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <20040722024624.GC23840@redwald.deadbeast.net>
- References: <E1BguFlemail@example.com> <20040710174603.GS11953@redwald.deadbeast.net> <20040719153135.GA8422@konishi> <20040722024624.GC23840@redwald.deadbeast.net>
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:46:24PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 04:31:35PM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> > Perhaps the Xserver could provide some kind of alert when an invalid
> > keyboard/keymap is selected;
> It generally does; both to its logfile in /var/log and to standard error.
> If you mean it should draw its own dialog box on the screen even without
> benefit of an installed widget library, I daresay that's unlikely to happen
> anytime soon.
No - I meant to the logfile and to standard error.
With dfsg.1-6 I notice the following printed to standard error, but /not/ the
logfile when using an invalid layout (indentation mine):
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error: Can't find file "pc/uk" for symbols include
> Abandoning symbols file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
> Do you regard this bug as resolved?
I think it would be a good idea for the above output to be provided to the
logfile in addition to the standard error and ideally also marked with (WW)
or (EE) so that grepping the log file for problems turns it up.
What do you think of this suggestion?
Many thanks for your hard work,