Re: Xsession and login shells

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 09:23:08PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Xsession does not spawn a login shell.

Why should it?  There's no shell running.  If the user is starting X from a
console prompt, then their environment is already initialized, and if
they're using a display manager, then it's the display manager's problem if
it wants to source environment variables (which is what this is really
about), not that the display manager has any business doing it either.

And yes, I've read the bug you point to.  I don't agree with it.  If the
user wants a particular set of environment variables, then their
~/.xsession should source $ENV (or the csh equivalent, which I
dis-remember).

--
 Marc Wilson |     When you're in command, command.  -- Admiral Nimitz
 msw@cox.net |