Re: X Strike Force XFree86 SVN commit: r1562 - in trunk/debian: . local

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 04:30:23PM -0500, X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin wrote:
> +<p>The presence of these stressors gave rise to (or exacerbated) personality
> +conflicts, and in 2003 a group of developers resolved to set up a separate
> +development project, which was eventually christened <a
> +href="http://www.freedesktop.org";>FreeDesktop.Org</a>.

This project was christened XWin.org. freedesktop.org has existed since
the late 1990s, basically as just Havoc with a bunch of standards (e.g.
.desktop, NETWM). In mid-2003, XWin and freedesktop made the decision to
essentially merge, and XWin folded all its services into
freedesktop.org.

fd.o took that opportunity to extend immensely (and got its own machine
for the first time), and ended up being somewhat of a focal point for X
development. But it was started years before we rocked along.

> +cross-pollination between the projects would work to everyone's benefit.  The
> +redistributors, and thus most end users, were expected to continue using
> +XFree86, at the very least until FreeDesktop.Org had a replacement finished.

Please s/FreeDesktop.Org/freedesktop.org/.

-d, fd.o watchdog

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org