Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Anders Karlsson wrote:

> On Friday 18 Jun 2004 08:02, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >         As you might have seen from the messages on
> > debian-devel-changes, 4.3.0.dfsg.1-5 has been accepted into unstable.
>
> Seen it, downloaded it and installed it. Works like  a charm. Many
> thanks! :)

Thanks! it's always nice to know that someone out there appreciate :-)

> > Our questions to the community are:
> >
> > * What kinds of X packages would you like to see in the future?
>
> As a user and not a developer,

This is also important feedback for us.

> I do not know how much work there would be involved in a shift to the
> X.org release, but X.org seems to have a decent road-map, good ideas and
> above all, an active team working on things. What I am trying to say is
> that X.org seems from a users perspective to be the good route to take.

The amount of work is going to be relatively huge indipendently of which
direction we will take. There is nothing to do about it other than getting
it done.

> > * Should we go our own way starting from the "sanitized" XFree86 CVS
> >   snapshot we've prepared?
>
> Would this give the developers and the users added benefits above and
> beyond what X.org gives?

Since we are talking about sarge+1 no. There would be no benefit in
maintaining our own tree other than we already know what works and what
doesn't.

Thanks
Fabio

ps I am taking notes of all the comments. they are not passing unreaded.

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.