trying to get work GeForce 2 MX 400 on NForce2 MB

Hi! I'm trying to upgade my old motherboard Soltek 75KAV to Soltek based on NForce2 chipset Soltek SL-75FRN3. And I've got weird problem with my Geforce2 mx 400 card which is only run on drivers which come with the kernel, but when I try to install Nvidia drivers instead of starting X I'm getting screen filled with trash and system hangs... can someone help me understand what could it be and is there some way to fix this?
on my old motherboard everything was working just fine :-\
any ideas what could cause this?

PS I'm on the 2.6.7 but 2.6.6 didn't work for me as well.