Re: Updating Debian X FAQ to mention X.Org/X11R6.7 plans

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 09:34:12PM -0700, John Gilmore wrote:
> The Debian X FAQ is conspicuously silent about the whole X licensing
> issue.

This is due more to inertia on my part than anything else.

> It does mention X.Org but its commentary dates from 1999,
> saying that X.Org supervised the X11R6.5.1 release.

Right; I've known this history section has needed an update for a while.

> The FAQ also says the XFree86 Project "release their X servers under
> licensing terms identical to that of the freely available X sources".

Yeah, not true anymore...

> It concludes, "XFree86 is thus the superset of the X Window System
> that is used by the Debian GNU/Linux system."

That is still true at present.

> I presume from occasional comments on this list that the plan is
> (someday soon) to switch everything over to base the Debian packages
> on the X.Org releases.

Well, Daniel Stone insists that's not true.

> If so, I merely suggest putting a sentence or paragraph about those
> plans in the FAQ, and removing the no longer accurate comments about
> XFree86.
>
> If not, I'm merely confused -- and perhaps the FAQ should say
> something rather than nothing.

I entirely agree.

Say, does anyone on this list feel like "digesting" the mails that have
been sent on the subject?  I don't recall most of the mails I've sent
about it provoking much controversy.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Every aristocracy that has ever
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    existed has behaved, in all