Re: Support for VIA driver, patch against SVN HEAD

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:28:30AM +1000, Adam Conrad wrote:
> As a follow-up to my patch posting for VIA support, here's a quick
> discussion on licensing from IRC:
>
> infinity = 'Adam Conrad'
> overfiend = 'Branden Robinson'
>
> <infinity> No comment on the VIA driver patch?
> <overfiend> haven't done anything with it yet, sorry
> <infinity> I didn't write about licensing, but I just duoble-checked,
> and everything is clean.
> <infinity> CVS rev 1.9 of the Imakefile claims the changes between 1.8
> and 1.9 are under the 1.1 license.  Ironically, those changes break the
> compile and I rolled back to version 1.8 anyway.
> <infinity> All the other files in via/* are under the old license (and
> won't be relicensed without consent from VIA/S3), and everything outside
> of via/ was changed by hand by me, so no changes were pulled from
> upstream.
> <overfiend> okay.  You don't want to post to -x about this?
> <infinity> I'll just post this IRC log. :)
> <overfiend> okay :)

In light of recent messages by David Dawes to the XFree86 devel
list[1][2][3], I'm not sure it is safe to include anything from XFree86
CVS after 2003-02-11, even in the via driver.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/devel%40xfree86.org/msg05906.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/devel%40xfree86.org/msg05959.html
[3] http://www.mail-archive.com/devel%40xfree86.org/msg05939.html

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      A fundamentalist is someone who
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      hates sin more than he loves