x configuration process

Hi, I'm new to the list, hope this is the right place for this question.

Why does X not attempt to configure itself automatically before asking the user questions? The debconf configurator asks lots of questions that many users don't understand or care about. If the user does care, they can always just run `XFree86 -configure' and do some manual editing.

I found a similar question and answer posted here as a bug report:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2003/debian-x-200308/msg00733.html

However, when I installed sarge, X was not autoconfigured.
I checked after the install if the packages mentioned in the above URL are indeed installed, which they were. I suppose it's possible that they were installed in the wrong order or something, but that seems unlikely.

Does X it normally autoconfigure when working correctly, or is this a bigger problem.
If it is, can we just steal knoppix autoconfigure system?

Thanks,
Nick Urban