Re: X Strike Force - some infos missing

Around 21 o'clock on Mar 31, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> Google says that X11R6.7 has been upcoming for more than a year.
> How much closer is it than that?

Oh, that's funny!

And here I thought we'd managed to come up with a unique new name...

The X.org Foundation has been completely reformulated and is now
driven by actual developers instead of dying Unix vendors.  Egbert Eich is
currently driving a fork of XFree86 4.4 RC2 to release and we all agreed
to call it X11R6.7.  It's not technically different from XFree86 4.4, but
it isn't affected by the XFree86 1.1 license.

We were hoping to be done by yesterday, but it's taking longer to get the
documentation into reasonable shape.  Next Tuesday is the current target; I
think we'll hit that.

Red Hat, SuSE, Debian and Gentoo (at least) will be using the X.org
codebase for their releases.

Parts of the system which are maintained outside (like xterm) will
eventually be dropped from the X.org repository, as long as licenses remain
compatible.

-keith