Re: XFree86-4.4.0 on Ultra5 behaves funny

hi Arvin,
	this question is more appropriate for debian-x mailing list.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Arvind R. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed XFree86-4.4.0 on an i386 and Ultra5, both otherwise
> strictly Debian-stable. On both, some apps ( I think session
> aware apps ) have a 10-second loading delay.
>
> Funnily, downing the eth0 on Ultra5 eliminates the delay, but
> quite a few gnome-apps fail ( with/without eth0 ). On the i386,
> the delay stays but no crashes with/without networking on.
>
> Anyone with any clues on this?

As you know Debian doesn't include X4.4 but your problem can be reasonably
associated to the fact that X4.4 supports ipv6 natively, and that might
explain the long delays (according to your network setup).
Did you try not compiling the IPv6 support? Check your dns queueries (if
you can). you might notice a certain amount of lookups if the problem is
really network related.

Gnome applications perhaps are very old and needs some updates? I recall
some of them barfing on x4.2 + ipv6.

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.