Re: x-window-manager - what must it provide?

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:45:11PM +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> I'm trying to work out what the intended purpose of x-window-manager is.
>
> This is prompted by bug 194195.
>
> wdm thinks that x-window-manager should provide an X session with a way
> to launch applications and so on.
>
> xfwm4 ships as an alternative to x-window-manager because it's a window
> manager.  However all the menuing, panel, other bits and bobs are
> provided in other components of XFce.
>
> Basically I want to know if xfwm4 should be saying it's an alternative
> to x-window-manager - given it provides the positioning, window border
> bits - or if more is needed in order to satisfy being x-window-manager.
>
> I read policy but it didn't really seem to specify much just gave points
> for different bits.

There's a technical definition of "window manager"; that is, one you can
look at the source code so as to make the determination, but off the top
of my head I don't know where that is.  It may be in the ICCCM.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    It may be difficult to to determine
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    where religious beliefs end and