Re: Xfree86 4.4 vs Xorg Wrap-up

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 01:23:45PM +0000, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > 2 - Some are arguing that the new licensing is NOT GPL incompatible, but
> > nobody argues that it is not deviating from DFSG
>
> I do not understand that. There is a consensus that the new license is GPL
> incomatible. Whether it is DFSG free is not complety clear.

More precisely, multiple inquries as to the specifics of what the new
license means have gone unanswered by the principals.

The debian-legal list has this history.

> > 4 - Debian will NOT include XFree86 4.4 components
>
> Yes.

Well, we won't be packaging XFree86 4.4 as such, but "components" of it
that are unencumbered by the relicensing may find their way into Debian.

These are "components" at the "snippet of source code" level, though,
and probably not what you mean.

> > 5 - Other Linux's distributions MIGTH include Xfree86 4.4
>
> Afaik none of the major players (Suse, Redhat/Fedora, Gentoo, Mandrake,
> Debian) will. (openBSD won't either.)

The only distribution I know of that is shipping it is Slackware.

> > 7 - Debian MIGHT include Xorg, MIGHT include XFree86 4.4 in non-free or
> > similar
>
> I doubt anybody will invest work to package XFree86 4.4 for Debian with
> the current license, I would be very surprised if any of the members of
> the current maintainer team would.

I have no such plans, myself.

> There is another alternative to XFree86 - the Xserver from
> freedesktop.org. <http://freedesktop.org/Software/xserver>. Afaik it has
> not yet been decided which of these Debian will choose but I think
> there is tendency towards freedesktop.org. - It is saner from a
> packager's POV, they have split X in components (server and libraries)
> which could ease maintainance a lot.

Debian doesn't have to choose one or the other.  If we're careful not to
let the packages step on each other's toes, we can have both.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    One man's theology is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    belly laugh.