Re: i830 driver still not reserving memory (4.3.0-5)

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 05:35:39PM +0100, Christian Guggenberger wrote:
> On 16.03.2004   17:15 Mark Zimmerman wrote:

> >> I'm not sure, if even XFree86 4.4 can work around all broken Dell
> >> Bioses...
> >>
> >> Well you could give it try:
> >> Basically, it should be sufficient to replace the following files
> >> (make a backup of the old ones)
> >> /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
> >> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
> >> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libscanpci.a
> >> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o
> >>
> >> with those found at http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh/drivers/x86/
> >>
> >> See, if it works better then...
> >>  - Christian
> >
> >Good news and bad news: It looks like it is reserving memory properly.
> >The old log showed this:
> >(--) I810(0): Maximum space available for video modes: 832 kByte
> >and the new log shows this:
> >(--) I810(0): Maximum space available for video modes: 32576 kByte
> >
> >However, the X server fails to start. Here is what I see on the console:
> >
> >giving up.
> >xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
> >xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
> >

> I'm busy right now, but I could check (actually not check, just merge into
> 4.3.0-5) all changes from HEAD's i810 driver within a week, or so, and
> build some homebrew debian packages.
> I'll drop you a note, when I'm finished - maybe it would work then.
>
>  - Christian

I have tried a few more experiments, with discouraging results:

1. I downloaded the files (noted above) from xfree86.org and tried
   them. No luck.
2. I tried various combinations of these with the ones from ~alanh.
   No luck.
3. I went back to all of the ones from ~alanh and was unable to
   reproduce the partial success.
4. I installed the latest OpenBSD snapshot which includes driver
   updates as recent as a week ago. No luck.

My bios revision is A03; this is the latest version available from
Dell. Perhaps older ones are better (less bad?) but I have no access
to them.

In any event, it may not be the best use of your time to think too
much about this. I'm just wondering: if this is working on a Dell
machine of yours, how is yours different?

-- Mark