Re: Question on X and new license...

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 03:52, David Martínez Moreno wrote:

> El Lunes, 23 de Febrero de 2004 05:43, Branden Robinson escribió:
> [...]
> > * Code that forms part of the XFree86 SDK, a driver development kit
> >   (which there has been some work to package for Debian) *is* under the
> >   X-Oz license, and would prohibit the development of GPL-licensed
> >   drivers for the XFree86 X server.
> >
> [...]
> >
> > (Fellow debian-x subscribers: I'd like your feedback on this message, as
> > once debian-legal has made its decision regarding the DFSG-freeness of
> > the X-Oz license, I'd like to re-purpose it, perhaps as a mail to
> > debian-devel-announce and/or as a position statement to placed on the X
> > Strike Force news page.  If any contributor to Debian's X packaging has
> > any objection to the above statements, please speak up.)
>
> 	I fully oppose to the SDK statement. It is unacceptable.

Because....

> 	My opinion.

Certainly not Uday Hussein's.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

In 1929, when the Great Depresion hit, while all the other
tabulating companies retrenched, Thomas Watson Sr. insisted that
IBM's factories stay open and R&D spending increase. Thus, in
1935 when FDR signed the Social Security Act, and businesses and
gov't had a huge need for tabulating/sorting machines, IBM was in
position to dominate the industry, and did so for the next 45
years.