bizarre lib*-dev dependencies in different architectures

My new version of xprint-xprintorg has revealed what looks to me like a bug in xfree86 in some architectures.  I compiled Xprint using XFree86 v4.2.1, I hadn't had the chance to upgrade to the new version yet.  So my library dependency was on xlibs-dev.

I gather you've since split xlibs-dev out into separate lib packages.  The new xlibs-dev depends on these new lib*-dev packages. And the buildds are already updated to the new system.

But when my new Xprint was uploaded on the weekend, some of the buildds built it fine, while others rejected it, saying for example:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libICE.so.6, needed by /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so, not found

(although the buildd, alpha in this example, did install libice-dev).

Since it worked for some architectures but not others, I guess Xprint is not at fault (although I suppose you'll want me to stop Build-Depending on xlibs-dev).
The failing architectures are:
arm
m68k
alpha
mips
ia64
sparc.

The build succeeded on:
(i386... with X v4.2.1)
powerpc
mipsel
s390
hppa

I'm not sure what the problem really is, so I don't want to file a bug until we know.

The buildd logs are listed at http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=xprint-xprintorg

Drew