Re: Question on X and new license...

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 11:43:24PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I expect a consortium of GNU/Linux and *BSD vendors to coalsece around
> the efforts of the Free Desktop organization[3], one of which is likely
> to be a fork of the XFree86 code from CVS HEAD, probably as of 12
> Feburary 2004 (immediately prior to the application of the new license).
> Furthermore, code to which the X-Oz license applies will have to removed
> as well.  Specifically, this comprises two commits made to XFree86 CVS
> on 8 October 2003[4][5], which implement automatic configuration of the
> XFree86 X server, obviating the need for an XF86Config file in some
> cases.

>From my survey of the various autoconfig options being used in different
distros currently, it looks like there are a variety of workable
replacements for the autoconfig code in the field right now, but there
is no unified solution. Right now I'm building a modified version of the
solution knoppix uses for Debian, hopefully in time for sarge's release,
but as it stands the lack of a unified solution seems more like annoying
redundancy than anything. I'd personally like to help at freedesktop.org
in the future in getting some sort of built-in solution that all distros
can use to make our lives a little easier. That'll take care of one
issue.

 - David Nusinow