Upgrade of XFree86 broke my X totally on Laptop IBM t40p

Dear all,

after having searched the web and read some of the email on the
archive, I could not find the information required for getting my X
working again.

Today, I upgraded X on my Laptop (IBM t40p, ATI RADEON Mobility Fire
GL9000) running Debian unstable.  Unfortunately, after having run the
upgrade without any notice of problems, the screen gets black simply.
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does not work, but I can remote login to reboot
the laptop completely since killing all processes related to X does
not resolve the problem.

Can anyone propose a solution to me and tell me, what to do next to
get back to light?

Thanks in advance,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? -> <http://www.rawip.org> |