Re: partial license audit of XFree86 4.3.0

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:03:00AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> 2) Copyright (c) 1993, 1994 Christopher G. Demetriou
>
> Affected files:
> xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/MTRR-Lynx.shar [8]
> xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/loader/aout.h [9]

[ snip ]

> [8] Except Mr. Demetriou actually uses the 3-clause BSD license on this file:
>
> X * Copyright (c) 1993 Christopher G. Demetriou
> X * All rights reserved.
> X *
> X * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> X * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> X * are met:
> X * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> X *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> X * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> X *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> X *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> X * 3. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products
> X *    derived from this software without specific prior written permission
> X *
> X * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
> X * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
> X * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
> X * IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
> X * INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
> X * NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
> X * DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
> X * THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
> X * (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
> X * THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
>
> [9] This file says it is "Borrowed from NetBSD's exec_aout.h", so it may have
>     since been relicensed "upstream".

Since CGD is a frequent contributor to NetBSD, and he's on my list of
people I still need to ask about relicensing to 3-clause stuff for the
NetBSD codebase, I could possibly raise the issue of the XFree86 license
texts at the same time, if you wish.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/NetBSD(i386) porter                                       : :' :