Re: 2nd mouse

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Dan Jacobson wrote:

> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
> 	Driver		"mouse"
> 	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"On"
> 	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
> 	Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Generic Mouse"
> 	Driver		"mouse"
> 	Option		"CorePointer"
> 	Option		"Device"		"/dev/ttyS1"
> 	Option		"Protocol"		"IntelliMouse"
> 	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
> 	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Well, guess what, the first Section is completely ignored, as seen in
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log.  X just must find its "Generic Mouse", all
> other Mouses are ignored, at least on Debian.  Maybe you know of the
> secret Identifier for second mouses.  I couldn't find it on the
> XF86Config-4 man page.  Yes, I see the promising "This can be used,
> for example, to allow an additional pointer device to generate core
> pointer events (like moving the cursor, etc)." But maybe Debian just
> finds the Identifier it wants and thats the end of it.  I don't know.
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/README.mouse.gz has no examples of two
> mice.  The man page says only one CorePointer allowed.  I tried
> Identifier "Morse Mouse" instead of Configured Mouse, no help.

Did you add your second mouse to the ServerLayout Section?  That should
read something like this:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice     "Generic Mouse"
EndSection

Of course the other identifiers have to correspond to the sections in
question.  If you want to call the second mouse "Morse Mouse" you just
have to use that name in both sections.

Regards,   -- Elmar

--
Dr. Elmar S. Heeb, HPV F58        email: heeb@phys.ethz.ch
Departement Physik, ETH Zurich    voice:   +41  1 633 2591