Re: debian/patches: 500, 551

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:36:09PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 04:54:40PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > 551_sh_staticserver_build_fix
> > -----------------------------
> > Not upstream.  Apparently not in branch patches (though I didn't check
> > every single one).  So, apparently needs to be ported.  (Though for all I
> > know, sh doesn't need this change any more....)  Should apply unchanged.
> > Needs a description of what it does and why, though.
>
> Hmm.  This was added in 4.2.0-0pre1v1.  That's a long time ago.
>
>   * patch #551: new; fix for static server build on sh3/sh4 (ISHIKAWA Mutsumi)
>
> Perhaps ISHIKAWA-san remembers this?
>
> All it appears to do is change the order in which subdirectories are
> traversed during the build.  It does this for all architectures if
> #DoLoadableServer is NO.
>
> I wonder why this matters only to SuperH.
>
> Anyone?

You know what, I think I'm going to leave this one out.  The SuperH
ports are dead, as far as I know, and I'm not happy with a patch that
affects every architecture (except s390), isn't upstream, is no longer
understood, and doesn't actually seem to affect anything.

People have been building the static X server just fine all through the
4.3.0-0pre series without this patch.

I think it's best to drop it until its existence can be (re-)justified.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Q: How does a Unix guru have sex?
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     A: unzip;strip;touch;finger;mount;