Re: debian/patches: 906

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:45:41PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> 906_debian_xfs
> --------------
> * Hunk 1 (the Imakefile diff) is upstream

Yup.

> * Hunk 2 is mostly present in the new 906_debian_xfs.diff
> * However, the font 'catalogue' paths have changed (particularly in their
> ordering).  Probably this is at least partly intentional, but it's worth
> making sure.
>
> Old:
> +XCOMM paths to search for fonts
> +catalogue = /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
>
> Old order: Type1, CID, Speedo, misc, cyrillic, 100, 75
>
> New:
> +XCOMM paths to search for fonts
> +catalogue = /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
>
> New order:
> misc, cyrillic, 100 unscaled, 75 unscaled, Type1, CID, Speedo, 100, 75
>
> I understand putting 100 unscaled and 75 unscaled ahead of the scalable fonts
> while leaving the scaled-bitmap versions after the scalable fonts.  But what's
> up with moving misc and cyrillic first?  I suppose there's a reason.

The :unscaled paths should not be necessary.  From Juliusz Chroboczek's
README.fonts:

  (The `:unscaled' hack, while still supported, should no longer be necessary
  in XFree86 4.0 and later.)

Juliusz also says this:

  For best results, scalable fonts should appear in the font path before the
  bitmap fonts; this way, the server will prefer bitmap fonts to scalable fonts
  when an exact match is possible, but will avoid scaling bitmap fonts when a
  scalable font can be used.

However, those "best results" turned out not to be so good; I took this
advice in 4.2.1-6:

  * patch #906: re-order xfs's default font catalogue to follow advice given
    in README.fonts document; move scalable font directories to top of list
    and remove ":unscaled" lines

Unfortunately, this provoked a lot of dismay at ugly fonts.  Here's one
example:

I surmise from "svn blame" that this is a change Daniel Stone made before
importing his stuff into the SVN repo.

I'm not sure misc and cyrillic *should* be first.

We probably want either:

  100, 75, misc, cyrillic, Type1, CID, Speedo

or:

  misc, cyrillic, 100, 75, Type1, CID, Speedo

Whichever we settle on should be matched in dexconf.

Does anyone have any insights to offer into font path element ordering?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Men use thought only to justify
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    their wrong doings, and speech only