Text in wrong location with Xinerama

I'm still having problems with Xinerama.  With some applications running
on the primary screen when I select a menu and drag my mouse up and down
the menu *sometimes* instead of the menu item showing selected it
vanishes and the text shows up on my other screen.  And it doesn't
happen every time -- I can drag the mouse up and down on a menu and the
text sometimes shows in the right place, but other times shows on the
other screen.  It's like something is saying "Place this text at (x,y)"
but then it really is placed at (x+screen_width, y).

It's mostly menus.  But I used to notice that Mozilla when writing a
page some text (not all) would end up on the second screen.

Another clue is that it seems to only be menu items that include an
image.  For example, OpenOffice's File menu doesn't have any images in
the menu items, and those don't get written to the wrong screen, but if
I then select the "New" menu which has different icons on each of the
menu items those will be displayed on the wrong screen.

And same with icewm.  If I right click and pull up the "Programs" menu
most programs have an associated icon next to them.  But one item
"xchat" doesn't have an icon and this one does not show up in the wrong
place.  So right now on my secondary screen I have the text from all the
menu itmes except xchat.

Anyone else experience this?

First it was happening with Mozilla, then OpenOffice, and now I'm seeing
it with my icewm menus.

I'm running a current sid with X 4.2.1-12.1.  Someone suggested
upgrading libxrender1, but it didn't help (now running 0.8.3-4).

What part of X would be responsible for this?  I don't notice it on all
applications, though.  For example, if I bring up the xterm menu (VT
Options, I believe they are called) I don't see the problem.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org