Re: .xsession and kdm/wdm

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:17:25PM +0200, Malte Cornils wrote:
> when choosing a window manager like twm with kdm or wdm (maybe also others,
> but not xdm), this window manager is executed without taking into account the
> user .xsession.
>
> The user .xsession is only taken into account when using the default "window
> manager".
>
> By the way, some of the more complex window managers/desktop environments have
> their own mechanisms for startup scripts, like KDE's Autostart folder and
> GNOME's .gnomerc (IIRC).
>
> Now it would be quite helpful if this information could be found in the man
> page of Xsession or the xfree86-common FAQ, preferably both (attached are the
> relevant portions of both)
>
> I had a look at both but did not find an appropriate wording for that; maybe
> that's because I'm not a native (English :)) speaker. Perhaps someone on this
> list finds something good.
>
> If nothing comes up, I'll give it another try myself. Should I generate a
> patch (my reference is the man page/FAQ from woody).
>
> Ideas and comments?

Please review the Xsession handling (and Xsession(5) manpage) in version
4.2.1-11 of the Debian packages.  A bug with respect to session handling
has been found and fixed, and the documentation improved, since the
version of the XFree86 packages in woody.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    You should try building some of the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    stuff in main that is