Re: Problem with new libc, locales and X

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:27:34AM +0200, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I run XFree 4.3.0. I tested the new libc (2.3.2-3) and accordingly new
> locale package (and new gdm package). For european countries, LANG is
> now set to something like fr_FR.ISO-8859-15@euro (instead of the former
> fr_FR@euro). Xlib does not recognize this kind of locale. More
> important, fonts are not found any more (probably no matching charset)
> because of this. This leads to really poor experience.
>
> Any thoughts on this ?

Strangely enough, this is a rehash of a former major libc upgrade.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2000/debian-x-200012/msg00152.html

The solution is probably to append a few lines to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias

I can provide a patch, if necessary. But shouldn't X11 try to read the
locale correctly at first view? I think I already worked on this once.