Re: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 fails.

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 05:29:25PM +0300, Giannis Georgalis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' fails with the following error
> message:
>
> Note: not updating /etc/X11/X; no stored MD5 checksum available.
> Note: not updating /etc/X11/XF86Config-4; file does not exist.

Those aren't error messages; they're notes.

If the command failed, it failed for some other reason, which should be
reported.

> Note that I'm running debian unstable on an ix86 (with a today's
> dist-upgrade). This was the first time I decided to install xfree4 (I
> am currently running xfree3).
>
> Should this be reported as a bug, or is it a consequence of a
> misconfiguration on my pc ?

If there's no error message, and the command exited with a zero exit
status, it's neither.

What happens if you do this?:

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 && echo there was no error

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      We either learn from history or,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      uh, well, something bad will