Re: Running X server chroot?

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:42:45AM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 04:24:46PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > (Hmm, maybe you could use tmpfs for /tmp, and mount the same one in both
> > the real root and the chroot?  I've never tried this myself.)
>
> Doesn't help as tmpfs instances are compeltly separate.

I was afraid of that.

> You could mount --bind the real /tmp into the chroot /tmp - but then
> you've lost all benefits of the chroot vs tmpfile races at least..

Yup.  A clumsy approach to sharing a tmpfs instance would open you up to
exactly the same thing.

I think the best fix is probably for X to get into the 1990s and use
/var/run instead of /tmp for the X server socket directory.

Though maybe even that isn't much help, as most people don't share
/var/run across chroots either.  At least it's not a mode 1777 directory
by default.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    It is the responsibility of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    intellectuals to tell the truth and