Arg ... X has taken my "Alt Gr" key away ...

Hello,

I am experiencing something real strange. Yesterday all worked fine, but
i did an upgrade, and didn't reboot until this morning.

This morning i booted in, all worked fine, but as i was using mutt or
something, i noticed that my Alt-Gr key seems to be not working, which
is real unpleasant since it is needed for the diese, the tilda, the
arrobas, the pipe and other such very usefull keys on french keyboards.
The strange thing is that when i quit X, these keys seem to work in gdm,
but not once i log into gnome, or more exactly they used to work first
thing this morning.

Does anyone have an insight on what did go wrong here, or experienced
similar stuff, or a way to test it out. I am not that good in X keymap
stuff.

I hate this, it feels almmost microsoftian, it worked and suddenly
stopped working without me doing anything about it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther