Re: xserver-s3 stoped working?

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 01:21:11PM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:
>   I have tried debian-user and xfree86 but didn't got a reply.
> Hopefully someone here will be able to help. In addition, maybe others
> with the same old card can tell whether it works for them?
>   The following is for an old machine that is being used as a desk top.
> It used to follow testing rather closely until the break occurred.
> However due to the old hardware it must use xserver-s3 from the old 3.3
> tree. This is so because as far as I can tell there is no newer server
> for this VLB card. I believe the source classifies this bus as part of
> the ISA bus and mentions that it will be supported in the distant
> future. Am I wrong? Follows /var/log/xdm/log. The exact identification
> of the hardware can be seen here.
>
>     (**) S3: Option "power_saver"
>     (--) S3: card type: 386/486 localbus
>     (--) S3: videoram:  2048k
>     (--) S3: Ramdac type: s3_trio32
>     (--) S3: Ramdac speed: 135 MHz

If this is indeed a Trio32, as it semes it is, it should be supported in
4.2.1-6, which is currently in sid (unstable).

>   As an aside, is there a way to build only some debs and not the whole
> X suit? I have tried to use pbuilder on the Debian sources. However the
> building process got into a D state, probably due to load on the
> machine. When the load was removed it got out of the D state but took
> Gigs of disk space. I had to kill it. I believe both the D state and the
> need for tremendous disk space were when using groff or something
> similar to create the docs.

There isn't an easy to just build the server, no. You'll need a little
over 4gb for a complete build of XFree86.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org