Re: xlibmesa naming and relationships

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:

> I do not personally feel that the major version number used by a
> software project is a meaningless detail.  At least not in the case of
> Mesa, where they bump the major version number to reflect major new
> developments, like texture and lighting acceleration support.

I appreciate your respect for the upstream authors, but I don't think
the package name is an appropriate forum to express that.

Shared library packages carry part of the soname in their names so that
multiple versions can be installed simultaneously.  This does not seem
to be the case here as 3 is not related to the soname.  In the event that
the mesa version number is bumped without the ABI changing, you risk
either being inconsistent or changing the package name gratuitously.