Re: xlibmesa naming and relationships

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 05:14:57PM +0100, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> On Don, 2003-02-06 at 16:28, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I'm not dodging it at all.  xlibmesa3 is called xlibmesa3 because:
> >
> > 1) it's XFree86's version of the Mesa libraries (hence the "x");
> > 2) it's the Mesa library (hence the "libmesa"); and
>
> Noone is arguing that.
>
> > 3) it's version 3.x of the Mesa library (hence the "3").
>
> You dodged my vital question again:
>
> 'How is the major Mesa version number relevant for the xlibmesa package
> name?'

How is a major version number relevant for anything?  For example, how
is it relevant for XFree86?

> If someone could at least provide a single reason...

Well, now the onus is on you.  Convince me that verison numbers are
categorically meaningless and communicate nothing of worth, ever.

> > > It breaks every time the name changes.
> >
> > What does it break?
>
> Something that provides xlibmesa3-gl, for example.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, should be doing that.  What would be the
point?  Marcelo and I have agreed upon a pure virtual package name
"libgl1" and no one has explained why it's preferable to have a mixed
virtual package name instead of a pure one.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    There is no housing shortage in
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    Lincoln today -- just a rumor that