Re: xlibmesa naming and relationships

On Son, 2003-02-02 at 16:45, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >> Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> writes:
>
>  > Shouldn't be a problem because nothing outside of the xfree86 source
>  > package should depend on the xlibmesa packages directly (or deal with
>  > it)?
>
>  You just have to convince apt that replacing the then dissapeared foo3
>  by foo1 just because the later also provides libgl1.  You have to
>  resort to some trick to convince it to do the upgrade.

Yes, that would need to be done once when moving to a sane name, whereas
it needs to be done every time the number after xlibmesa is bumped,
right?

>  > My point is that the semantics of the libgl1 virtual package have
>  > changed from 'libGL.so.1 and libGLU.so.1' to 'libGL.so.1 only', which
>  > breaks packages that depend on libgl1 only but need libGLU. Did you
>  > consider this, and what were your plans to handle it?
>
>  Oh, that.  I thought that the mail I wrote a couple of days ago ended
>  up in -x, too.

Didn't seem to get it.

>  Basically the package providing libgl1 will depend on libglu1 for a
>  while to aid with upgrades.  When packages are recompiled, they get a
>  dependency on libglu1 if they use it.  Once most packages are
>  recompiled (for whatever reason), we file bugs on the rest.

Okay. I still think introducing a new virtual package and maybe dummy
libgl1 packages depending on that and libglu1 would have been better,
but I guess this mostly works.