Re: xfree86-common package problems in stable

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:10:11AM -0800, Michael Peddemors wrote:
> No, no tricks were performed..
> Just a standard apt-get installation.. Included is an email that I sent to the
> debian-kde list, but this problem is an X installation problem.
> Simply doing 'apt-gets' to the point where I can run startx should at that
> point have a working Xsession file, in my mind.
> Glance at the order in which the 'apt-gets' were applied and see if you can
> see where it might have failed please.
>
> and dpkg --configure --force-confnew xfree86-common doesn't work, just
> reporting that it is already done.  (See bottom of Email for included text
> from email to debian-kde)

--force-confnew and --force-confmiss have no effect with --configure,
because these force options only impact package unpacking.

You need to dpkg -i (--install) the package in question.

You may also want to ask the debian-user mailing list for help with
using dpkg.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    A celibate clergy is an especially
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    good idea, because it tends to