Re: Huge Memory Usage in X

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 12:37:02AM -0500, Hesham Hassan wrote:
>   I'm not sure if this is X related or not, however this seems to affect only
[...]

1) startup time likely has to do with the large number of shared objects
that need to be linked by KDE applications, and is the motivation for
the "prelinking" discussion that took place recently on the debian-devel
list

2) It's good to learn what the output from top(1) and similar commands
does and does not mean.

In fact, there's a FAQ about this:

$ zgrep -i memory /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz | head -1
*) Why does the X server take up so much memory?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    One man's theology is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    belly laugh.