Re: 4.2.1-4pre5v1 really needs a better g++ build dependency

[CCing Ryan so he can correct me if necessary]

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 10:03:16PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> I built your 4.2.1-4pre5v1 packages on my computer that has a mixed
> testing/unstable system. I didn't make the gcc transition (the old gcc
> and g++ packages are still installed). After compiling 4.2.1-4pre5v1
> with all build dependencies fullfilled I get the following package:
[...]
> Ryan's mail to debian-devel-announce [1] says:
[...]
>      * If you maintain a library written in C++:
[...]
>           + If you are building for libqt3 or don't depend on libqt in
>             any way:
[...]
>                o Ensure that you're using g++-3.2 to build. You should
>                  have g++ (>= 2:3.2) installed on the system you build
>                  on.

I said no before and I'm saying it again.

If Ryan meant for people to declare versioned build-deps on g++, then he
should have said so, and I'm pretty sure he would have.  That transition
document was months in the making.

I imagine that the reason the Build-Dependency you insist on wasn't
mandated is so that people can manage some difficult transitions,
perhaps in a chroot.  Or maybe some people really really need some
packages built against the old C++ ABI.

There is no inherent reason why XFree86 as such, or even a Debian
packaging thereof, requires version 3.2 or later of GCC.  Ryan's
transition document is a matter of policy, not technological
necessity.[1]

As such I think we might want to get relevant parts of Ryan's transition
document merged into the Debian Policy Manual at some point.

Adrian, if YOU want to build XFree86 with GCC 3.2, *YOU* can.  If you
don't, then you have that option as well.  The onus is on you to control
your build environment.

Do not nag me further on this issue without new data to support your
position.

[1] I'd think build-essential's dependency on GCC 3.2 is about as clear
a technical expression of Policy as we need.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    You can have my PGP passphrase when
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    you pry it from my cold, dead