Re: Debian's XFree86 4.2 and SiS vs. DRI

Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Die, 2002-12-31 at 10:31, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:

Michel Dänzer wrote:

Is SiS DRI even supposed to work in 4.2.x? I know that it most
definitely won't work in 4.3.0 because it hasn't been maintained in a
while.

It is, I assume.

Assumptions tend to be flawed. :) Have there been success reports with
the 4.2.x sis_dri.so?

That was my question...

> If so, you should look at diffs between upstream
and the Debian packages in lib/GL and extras/Mesa.

I'll do that asap.

There were no significant changes in the code either, as I saw in my comparison. (Mesa is of the same version, too.)

I guess it's still possible that the interface between the common client
side DRI code and the drivers was changed in a way that renders the SiS
driver non-working.

Is there common code inside sis_dri.so?

I assume as regards 4.3, you mean the inclusion of Mesa4, right? Well, no one of the DRI folks seems to care about the SiS driver, so this is hopeless anyway.

It's not the job of the DRI folks to maintain a driver for hardware they
don't have.

That's exactly what I have been doing for a year now. Implementing support for hardware I don't have.... (SiS 315, 550, 650, 740, etc)

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria