re : Another one: parse error reading X server string `intelfb'

> I'm stumped, any ideas?

Yep,

- First check your BIOS and set it for more than 1Mo of AGP-RAM.

- You might get some results with a recent kernel, intel's drivers (from http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel845g/) and framebuffer (in septembre, we were able to get X running with such a setup. But swapping to text console was crashing it, and on the whole the config was pretty unstable).

- As explain at http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/845driver.html. I845G chipset is only supported with Xfree86-4.3... and zgreping /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/changelog.Debian.gz on "intel" and "i8" does confirm it (debian unstable box with xserver-xfree86-4.2.1-14). To get Xfree-4.3 on your sarge box, you can either point apt to the current packages in experimental, or find a backport to sarge/testing, or backporting it your self.

@+,
	Fab