Re: packaging xfree86-driver-synaptics: a couple of questions

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:06:02PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 02:10:42PM +0100, Mattia Dongili wrote:
[...]
> > Any suggestion about the name?
>
> xfree86-driver-synaptics-utils, maybe?  Kind of long and ugly, but
> highly consistent with its counterpart.

I agree, it was my first candidate too.

> > 2- the source package needs some X headers not included in xlibs-dev
[...]
> > headers for the remaining ones.
>
> I don't understand.  You seem to be saying that the headers you need are
> not in the package, but also are in the package.
>
> "the source package needs some X headers not included in xlibs-dev"
> and
> "I'd set build dependency on xlibs-dev and compile against its headers"

sorry for my english...
I mean that some headers needed to compile the synaptics driver are not
included in xlibs-dev, while other headers (also needed to compile) are.
In my previous mail I included a treeview of the headers needed to
compile. As you can see there are some files packaged in xlibs-dev
(I snipped the full list) and some not.
I'd include in the deb source only the missing headers (as provided by
mainstream), but still compile against what's available in xlibs-dev.

> Also, what do you mean by "mainstream package"?

the original tar.gz, sorry again

> > Another option could be to create another xfree86-driver-dev to let
> > external drivers compile. Which solution?
>
> I think the headers in question will probably end up in the
> xfree86-driver-ddk package, which is slated for development after
> 4.3.0-1 is released.

In the meantime is my approach ok?

thanks
--