Re: Recommended sources.list entries for 4.3 packages

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:40:03AM -0500, Barry Hawkins wrote:
> List,
> 	In reading the last batch of commit updates from the X Strike Force,
> it looked like there might be sid packages for XFree86 4.3?  Is that
> so?  I am using the following entries in my sources.list:

[...]
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/ ../project/experimental main
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/ ../project/experimental main

Those are sufficient.

> 	Are there any other entries that would be more preferable for
> 	getting 4.3 packages to use on a sid installation?  If I run apt-cache
> policy xserver-sfree86, here's what I get:
>
> localhost:~# apt-cache policy xserver-xfree86
> xserver-xfree86:
>    Installed: (none)
>    Candidate: 4.2.1-14
>    Version Table:
>       4.3.0-0pre1v4 0
>            1 ftp://ftp.debian.org main/binary-powerpc/ Packages
>            1 http://http.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/main
> Packages
>       4.2.1-14 0
>          500 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
>          500 ftp://debian.mirrors.pair.com unstable/main Packages
>
> 	Thanks in advance for your time.

You're encountering apt's default "pinning" policy.  See
apt_preferences(5).

You can either muck with the pinning configuration, or do something like
this:

apt-get install xserver-xfree86/experimental

You'll have to specify several other X package names manually using the
latter method.  "COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l | grep 4.2.1-" is likely a good way
to identify your current set of installed XFree86 packages.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |          Measure with micrometer,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |          mark with chalk,