Re: how to start X with NumLock on?

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:07:54PM -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:38:27AM +0100, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> > Am I the only one who finds that NumLock being off when X starts is
> > counter-intuitive?
>
> Probably not.
>
> > After all it is ON at the console.
>
> If you configure it that way.  Big whoop.

Um, I shoulda written: after all it is on under windows <duck>

> > And, really, the numeric keypad on an extended keyboard (pc105) is not
> > that useful when NumLock is OFF.
>
> It's not?  The keys there stop working when NumLock isn't engaged?

No digits are produced when NumLock is off. Is it different for you?

> > 1) would it be a good idea to make the default ON?
>
> Not for me.

Fair enough, but how does NumLock being off deprives you of any
functionality? Just a question.

> > 2) how can I make it the default in my own config?
>
> $ apt-get install numlockx

Thanks a lot. But a whole debian package just for that? Wow.

--
"Only friends can play with your member(s)" -- C++ reference manual