Re: using freedesktop.org libs

Michel,

As happy as I'd be for people to start using the FD.o libraries,
there are a couple things left to do before I'd recommend doing
this.
   o the X locales stuff is broken, and needs fixing.  This
means one more library needs to be autofoo'ed and tested.
   o we need to vet the patches since 4.3 in the libraries.
Keith Packard and I discovered some patches applied since 4.3 shipped
that had clearly not been even trivially tested.  Needless to
say, we weren't at all happy to discover this, but as a result
we lack confidence in the bits until we've gone through all the
files looking at each patch since 4.3 shipped.  Sigh...

This is why we haven't started "releasing" tarballs yet,
and the bits are just in CVS.

So I'd hold off a few weeks, until this gets done.

Help in getting these things done would be greatly appreciated,
by anyone interested...  Interested?
                           - Jim Gettys

--
Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys@hp.com>