XFree86 4.4.0 release plans - maybe it's a time to start debian packaging ?

Hi,

>From http://www.xfree86.org/releaseplans.html :

The next full release of XFree86 will be 4.4.0. The schedule for this
release is:

*Feature freeze: 15 October 2003.
*Code freeze: 28 November 2003.
*Release date: 15 December 2003.

New development snapshots of this release are available bimonthly
(http://www.xfree86.org/develsnaps/), and the current development code for
this release can be found on the trunk of our CVS repository
(http://www.xfree86.org/cvs/). Latest development stapshots are released
1rst November.

Debian currently has Xfree version 4.2.1 in unstable and testing and 4.3.0
pre1v4 in experimental. It seems, that 4.3.0 won't be included into
unstable before 4.4.0 code freeze and because of this I suggest to start
packaging 4.4.0 prerelease packages in experimental instead of 4.3.0

I see at least 3 benefits if we start packaging 4.4.0 now:

1. At last Debian will contain up-to-date X-Window-system (and because of
this more hardware will be supported)
2. Xfree will be more stable and will contain less bugs, because more debian
users can test prerelease and report bugs, that can be fixed in upstream
before 4.4 final will be released.
3. For Debian maintainers it would be easier to maintain up-to-date
version, than old version (this includes critical bug, security fixes, etc)

I think if debian developers start package 4.4 Xfree today then Xfree will
be more stable in debian too, because debian xfree maintainers will improve
upstream xfree and xfree packages instead backporting lots of changes from
xfree 4.4 release to old xfree release.

Good luck :)
Mantas Kriaučiūnas
--