Re: xdm should use update-alternatives

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 10:19:00AM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Sunday 05 October 2003 09:51, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 08:18:37AM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > > how about making the xdm package use update-alternatives so one can
> > > change the default x-session-manager (which is also used e.g. by kdm)
> > > with
> > > update-alternatives --config x-session-manager. Don't have time to do
> > > that myself here and now but I'd consider it a a bug if it wouldn't use
> > > update-alternatives anyway.
> >
> > Err, dpkg-reconfigure -plow xdm, works reasonably well.
> So, why's there an alternatives for x-session-manager if the standard one
> doesn't support that function ? :-) I fell over this when KDM in HEAD was
> broken and I wanted to switch to xdm easily.

I don't understand what you're talking about.

1) A display manager is not a session manager.
2) update-alternatives is used to register, deregister, list, and select
   among alternatives.
3) From 1) and 2), we can conclude that no package which is not a
   session manager should be invoking update-alternatives on the
   x-session-manager alternative.
4) The default Debian X session scripts use the command
   x-session-manager as the controlling process of the session, if that
   command is available.  See Xsession(5).
5) The xdm package uses the default Debian X session scripts by default
   when starting an X session.
6) Some other display managers in Debian don't use the default Debian X
   session scripts by default when starting an X session.  I think this
   is a bug, but the maintainers of those display manager packages may
   disagree.

To which of the above premises do you object?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Eternal vigilance is the price of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     liberty.