Re: O_SYNC patch -> slow fb memory access

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 10:47:57AM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> No, I removed it again. O_SYNC causes the memory to be mapped
> uncached. I had a system which crashed horribly when this flag
> was not set for MMIO. Now I believe the system itself was faulty.
> I'm still not sure if caching should be set at all for MMIO registers,
> however since O_SYNC is an open() syscall flag and there is no
> way of asking for uncached mempry mapping when doing mmap() we'd
> have to have two separate file handles.
> The affected file was os-support/linux/lnx_video.c

Thanks for the explanation.  I have updated Debian's patches to use the
latest version (3.67) of lnx_video.c.  This fix will appear in the next
release of our packages of XFree86 4.3.0.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Human beings rarely imagine a god
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     that behaves any better than a