SDL hangs on SDL_Init() when $DISPLAY is remote

Hello!

When $DISPLAY points to some display over the network, and you run app using
SDL, the app just hangs (forever) without doing anything.

I started to debug this, and I found that the hanging function is in SDL_Init().

When you call SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO), SDL's X11_VideoInit() is called, which
then calls X11_GetVideoModes() (src/video/x11/SDL_x11modes.c).

X11_GetVideoModes() calls XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines() which is the one
which hangs (forever).

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux sid (unstable) with XFree86 4.2.1 (debian package
4.2.1-9).

Is this a known issue or should I try to debug it more? This is reproducible
with other setups (and other people) too.

To test, do this:

	export DISPLAY=some_host_on_the_network:0
	<run some sdl app>

and that's it.. the app hangs forever without doing anything.

Thanks!

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

                                   ^
                                .     .