The need to bleed. How Carlos likes his X :)

debian-x,

How Carlos likes his X:

1- Install debian X related packages.
2- Run some quick tests on the debian X packages.
3- cvs co X head, build, install (and DRI/DRM to get latest DRM
   module updates not integrated into XFree86 CVS yet).
4- Run scripts to fix symlinks that debian doesn't like
5- Reinstall 'dpkg -i' the fontconfig pakcage, only after removing the
   font.conf and font.dtd files so they get regenerated.
6- Time goes by, I test the upstream X stuff
7- Go to 1 since new debian X packages have entered unstable.

Let's say I represent the set of users that is using upstream X, and is
migrating back to debian's X packages :)

The really weird part is step #5. Why I have to reinstall debian's
fontconfig is somethign I don't understand. If I don't reinstall
fontconfig, then I'm unable to start any application that uses said
fonts. They merely report that fontconfig is unable to find any
installed fonts. It sometimes gets further if I `rm -f ~/.font-cache-1`
and then start the application. It seems to try to render some fonts,
but the next program is invariable sunk.

Has anyone seen such behaviour?
Am I the only user in the above category?

Would anyone be interested in having some patches that allow users
running custom X installs to more easily migrate back to debian's X setup.
Currently the postinst files give up when things go wrong, though things
are not so wrong that they merit giving up.

Many thanks for working so hard on debian-x!

I'm on this list so no need to cc.

c.