Debconf and XFree86 X servers

[Please direct any XFree86-specific followup to debian-x.]

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 08:46:00AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> Yet another reasons for wanting to decouple installation and
> configuration is if some hardware company (such as VA^H^H Emperor
> Linux) wishes to ship Debian pre-installed on the system.  In that
> case, installation happens at the factory, and not when the user
> receives it in his/her hot little hands.

I think Debian's headed that direction.  Changes of this nature are
sometimes slow to reach maturity, though.

As an example, I've mentally committed to ditching the current
debconfage for the XFree86 X server packages in Debian, possibly
replacing it with ucf(-ish) solution.  But I haven't gotten around to
doing it yet.

It's probably safe to say that this item is on my priority list after:

* 4.3.0-0pre1v1 released to experimental
* xlibs/xbase-clients split/reorg (once settled, safe to release 4.3.0-1
  to unstable)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Any man who does not realize that
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    he is half an animal is only half a